Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Call Waiting and Waiting....

We are having phone problems. When someone calls, they hear about half a ring on their end, then silence. The call doesn't go to voice mail. We hear about half a ring, then silence. If we grab the phone quickly enough, we can get the call before the person hearing the silence on the other end gives up. I called the phone company this morning and after 20 minutes or so was connected with a friendly guy named Steve. He listened to the problem and then told me he was going to run a check on the line and call me right back. After waiting another half hour for Steve's call, I had to leave my house for an appointment. This afternoon I tried again. I called the same number and was on hold for 45 minutes. Why does it seem that it is impossible to get in touch with the phone company on the phone?? About 35 minutes into it I decided to try calling yet another repair number I found online. Using my cell phone, I finally got connected and, with the hold music still playing out of my home phone's speaker--I wasn't taking any chances--I spoke with Theresa who told me that Steve had checked the line and said everything was working just fine. "It's not fine," I said. "There's still a problem. Why don't you put me on hold and call my number on another line?" So she did. "You're right," she said, "I just got half a ring." Geniuses, all. So tomorrow, if you need to call me, feel free to call me at home. I'll be here from 8 until 12, at least, waiting for the phone guy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

just pay the bill, then it will work

Mjr

Anonymous said...

just pay the bill already

mjr

Unknown said...

I was home on Friday waiting from 11:00-2:00 for my phone guy. Then it was postponed from 1:00-3:00. He did what they call gave me a boost. It was fixed. Today my phone was out again. I guess a boost isn't what it used to be. Maybe I should make an appt. for tomorrow so we can wait together.

Unknown said...

While you wait, I'd like to suggest the following "waiting" movies:

1. "Waiting for Guffman". Surprise - like your telephone person, Guffman never shows up!

2. "A Telephone Entanglement" Perhaps the phone company will humorously cross your line with the local 24hr shawarma delivery joint.

3. "Le Téléphone sonne toujours deux fois (The Telephone Always Rings Twice)" Instead of a half of ring, the phone company will fix the phone to always ring twice.

4. "Hlas v telefonu" (The definitive Czech phone drama) After you complained about the phone service, the phone company will permanently connect you to the Czech Republic.

5. "History of the Pay Telephone". Watch and learn. With your shrill complaints, the phone company is planning to install a pay phone in your house.

6. "Twelve Monkies". The voicemail comes from the future!